Thursday, June 18, 2015

Multiple Sclerosis - Still Thriving 😊





MS affects every part of my body from head to toe inside and outside. However, it is up to me how I respond. Yes, I have MS, but MS does not have me. My response?  Early on I learned that I must be my own best advocate. My doctors are important and I respect them greatly, but they are NOT God.  I am called by God to take excellent care of this body He gave me that holds my spirit. I am a child of God and in that I am called to eagerly search with a readiness to learn what else I can do to improve the MS and just do it.  What am I doing? Vegan diet - food is one of my medicines, take medications, vitamins and supplements, rest in the afternoon 1-2 hours - pray, meditate, rest or sleep; whatever my body needs at the time, exercise - walk 3 miles most days/week, daily personal yoga practice, calisthenics type exercises 4 days/week, weight lifting 2 days/week and belly dancing class 1 day/week....I am loving this new exciting adventure with learning how to move my belly and hips in a different way. 😉     Upbeat, uplifting music is a huge part of my daily life. Listening to this type of music pumps me up, brings happiness and an exciting energy that fuels me. Currently, a few of the songs that do this for me the most are "What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger" - Carrie Underwood, "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" - Marvin Gaye, "Firework" -Katy Perry, "Uptown Funk" - Bruno Mars. When this ongoing music surges through me, I can only get up, get lifted up and feel great. I especially love rocking it out while driving in my car with the sound turned up high. Dancing helps me so much. I have loved dancing since I was a child; tap, jazz, ballet, acrobatics. and then gymnastics (was on the NC State Gymnastics Team in college.)  Over the years I have maintained my connection with dance with lyrical dance. One of my long term dreams was having a dance floor in my home with a wall of mirrors. This dream came true for me in 1996, 19 years ago when Tommy, my husband and I built our house that we designed together. I just go to this special dance place in my home, turn on the music and move by body, opening myself up, allowing the music and rhythm to soak deep into my heart and soul. I have shared lyrical dances bringing the words to life through movement at churches, schools, special events, youth groups and hospitals locally, nationally in several states and internationally on mission trips by myself and with my 4 daughters; Guatemala, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. I cannot do some of the dance moves that I used to do, but I don't focus on what I can't do.  I put my focus on what I can do and do it. Everyday I purposely "look for the good."  As I face these challenges, I see blessings all around me. I see openness, kindness, and other positive qualities in others and myself. I even see the good that can come from tragedy. By seeing the good, I feel uplifted.  It is imperative for me to always be on the edge of my potential exploring ways to improve me, my relationships and what I do each day. This attitude makes me a much better person, makes my life more wonderful,  and I am told that it makes a difference in others lives, too.

Feel free to make comments or ask questions about whatever you like directly on my blog or Facebook if you so choose. I will gladly engage with you if you so desire.


No comments:

Post a Comment